Monday, November 19, 2012

The Ever Elusive Seesaw

Balance has definitely been one of my most difficult struggles throughout my collegiate career. For some reason, I always seem to work on extremes. Freshman year I was extremely social. Sophomore year I was extremely isolated. Junior year I was extremely disengaged. And this year I have extreme case of Senioritis. Well, kind of. The craziest part is how many things I've tried to get balance. Freshman year was probably the year that I was most balanced, primarily because I was around people who did the same. I would socialize and meet people during the day, spend time with roommates during the evening and then do homework collaboratively at night. I got my work done and got the best grades of my career, while assuming leadership roles, and improving personally. I have used Google calendar, a planner, a wall calendar, post-it notes, writing on my hands, posting notices on my walls, phone/text reminders, and sheer memorization. My remaining organized I am more capable of committing time to different activities. I try to balance my time amongst things that I value most- family & friends, health, academics, self-improvement/spirituality, and fun!

I definitely believe balance is possible. The way we spend our time is a good way to evaluate our values. By doing things that make you happy, I think balance can be achieved. I think a self-assessment would be helpful to re-establishing balance in my life. Proactivity would give me the time that I need to try new things and to spend on areas of my life that have been ignored. One day, balance will be mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment